Upward Sports is the largest Christian youth sports program in the nation, and has been in Baker City since January 2018. The program is open for all the children in Baker City and surrounding communities!
This recreation basketball league is a unique experience that develops young athletes (K5- 6th grade) mentally, athletically, spiritually, and socially. Upward Basketball focuses on skills, training, character development, drills, and gameplay. It involves:
- 1 practice and 1-2 game per week
- Unique substitution system that ensures every young athlete plays
- Quality game day uniform and other sports related gear
- Age appropriate character and skill development both on and off the court
- Coaches who are focused on your athlete’s development physically and spiritually
- Our League for the 2022 Season will be split into 3 age divisions: 4th-6th Basketball with K5-6th Cheerleading will be held in January 2nd/3rd Basketball will be held in February, and K/1st Basketball will be held in March. Each age division will have their own Celebration Day at the end of their last basketball/cheer games.
- Basketball Evaluations- Evaluations are a helpful tool for our league. But due to recommendations, we have chosen not to hold them in person. Instead, we ask parents to conduct evaluations at home. It is a series of skills that will take about 15 minutes. To request a form or ask questions, please email the League Director at email@example.com. Forms need to be completed and returned by December 1st.
- Registration: Opens October 1, 2021- December 1, 2021
- Basketball registration is $65 per player
- Cheerleading registration is $65 per cheerleader
- Scholarships are available upon request and approval.
- Capacity- we are excited to host our league, but we do have a capacity of 30 athletes per age division. Those who are put on a waiting list will be notified upon registering your athlete. If space opens, you will receive a call from the League Director.
- Coaches should be contacting parents the week of December 13th. If you have not heard from a coach by December 20th, please contact the League Director.
- VOLUNTEERING– there is always a place to volunteer! Our current needs are coaches, refs, scorekeepers, and concessions. Please contact the League Director for a Volunteer packet (this includes a background check form that will need to be passed before a volunteer position can be filled).
- First practice: one day a week during the season your child is participating in.
- Game Schedule: All games will be on Saturday mornings from January into March
The sponsorship program can be another way for businesses or individuals to participate in this ministry and benefit young athletes who may be unable to financially participate in the program. Sponsorships will include your name or business on a banner that will be placed in the gym. These banners are great encouragements for parents, and are a visual way to show others in our community that you or your business supports these kids. Sponsorships range from $50 to $200.
If you have any other questions, please reach out to one of our team members:
- Deidra Richards, League Director 541.519.1482
- Kevin Reily, Basketball Coach/Ref Commissioner 541.519.9187
- Toni Myers, Cheer Coach Commissioner 541.403.2381
- Megan Liby, Fundraising Commissioner 208-921-5034
‘I Love my Church’ T-Shirt – fund raiser
Do you want to help support our new Upward Sports program and get some ‘fall fashion’ to? You can do both by buying a “I Love my Church” T-shirt.
Stephanie will be selling them in the foyer on Sundays, and help you pick the right size and color.
Adult shirts – $18
Children shirts – $15
This year we are offering seat cushions to help support Upward Sports. You can purchase one for yourself for only $7.
How Upward Sports got Started
Check out this “Simple as a Ball- The Upward Sports Story” video about how Upward Sports got started and their vision for kids and communities (30 mins).